The Library of the Episcopal Seminary was established in the 20s of the XIX century by Bishop. Filippo Giudice Caracciolo with the active collaboration of the scientist Enlightenment Molfetta, Archpriest Joseph Maria Giovene.
Formed initially by library funds' s former Jesuit College and former Studio of the Dominicans, was enriched by the donations of the same Giovene and Mons. Caracciolo, and by the contribution of the Abbot Vito Fornari.
Founded with the intention of encouraging the process of renewal and reorganization of ecclesiastical studies and, therefore, updated and open to the stresses of contemporary secular culture, the Library also played a decisive role in the cultural formation of civil society in Molfetta and its hinterland .
Between 1837 and 1844 it was erected, near the factory of the Seminary, now seat that has a large reading room, whose walls were built around a massive wooden shelving dall'ebanista Terlizzi, Philip Giacomantonio on project giovinazzese architect, G. Mastropasqua.
In 1887 he was promoted new renovations and expansion and purchased cabinets suitable for the preservation of manuscripts.
From 1890 to 1891, the painter Molfetta, Michael Romano, the once adorned with tempera illustrating the major historical periods of Western civilization and their main protagonists.
The library of the Library has been increased by bequests from clergy and laity, including notable ones of Bishops Achille Salvucci and Antonio Bello.
Currently, the library houses approximately 47,000 works, including manuscripts, incunabula and sixteenth.
Particularly valuable for the artistic and historical value are l '"Beatae Officium Virginis Mariae," parchment manuscript of the century. XVI finely illuminated, and the "Red Book", manuscript paper, a document crucial to the knowledge of city events from June 15, 1323 July 20, 1507 al....read more